Sunday, July 13, 2008

Facing fear

I wish I had a photo to prove this and hopefully will have soon but we floated down the Rogue River yesterday with the young single adults and I am just so happy and proud that I actually did it that I had to blog.

I am not comfortable in the water and am afraid of it. I did take swimming lessons as a child but wasn't good at it and remember all too well those belly flops. I've always wanted to float down the river though. With a lot, really a lot, of coaxing, I decided this was my chance.

I was blessed with an experienced guide and went in the so called "dry" boat and that was a good thing. Bruce on the other hand, took a bucket and was involved in and instigated full blown water fights the entire day.

The scenery was gorgeous and I had so much fun! Because of the skills of my guide, the rapids were a blast instead of frightening and I felt very safe. Rafts did overturn and people were thrown out so I learned that I wouldn't go down the river with just any one. This was the perfect river for my first experience, I'm so glad I went.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so proud of you, and I want to see pics!! I bet that was so fun. I can totally picture Dad starting water fights. Did you guys see any fishermen out there? I bet they were really bugged by you rafters. :)

Glad you had a good time! I love rafting and haven't been for SO long!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You did it and it was fun, wasn't it? You and mom are alike in the water...is Janet? Mom went on Class 2 and 3 rapids when we went down the Sevier River at Big Rock Candy Mountain. She wasn't big on the idea, but she really liked it when we were done. We should go down those when you come to visit. THAT would be a blast! What do you think? But you really need to go on a kiyak. The guide does all the work. You just get to hang on and scream and laugh and giggle! I am ready for it! Let me know!

Bee Happy Stamper said...

Having a mother who is deathly afraid of the water I know this wasa huge accomplishment. Congrats! I'm with Emily post some pics!

Jenni said...

THIS IS JUST INCREDIBLE! great job mom! now that you and dad have experienced how fun it was... maybe we should go on the good ol' umpqua?!?! I wish I was there, but I'm so proud!

LeAnn said...

Way to go Carol! Can't wait to see the pictures.

The Webb Family said...

I'm very impressed!! Way to go braving the waters. It took some serious talking mom into going but when it was all said and done, she loved it...Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks, we will try and come up to Beaver and visit while you are here. Does anybody in your family use facebook?? i have a page on there